Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Weekly update for July 18th

This week's work was mostly on the port of tpclient-pytext. The majority of this work was modifying the code to work with the new generator-style API. Besides this was  modifying the code to work with the new Object and Order implementations. This is still a little lacking, as the order insertion function hasn't been rewritten yet and the show function needs to be modified. I also discovered some older bugs with packing and unpacking DescStructures, which have been fixed.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Daily Update for August 16th

After some work, I got all the descriptions working. All that I need to do now is work on the Order and Message methods, but I'm too tired to function any longer, so those will have to be handled tomorrow.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Daily update for August 15th

Steady progress with tpclient-pytext. It still needs some work with descriptions, which will be my focus tomorrow.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Daily Update for Augist 13th

I got tpserver-cpp running locally today, and with llnz's help I fixed the connection problem I had been having. The problem was that I was including the header's length in the packet length. This has now been fixed, but I haven't updated the unit tests yet. I will do that tomorrow before I work on extending the client.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Weekly update for August 11th

This post will be extending more than a week back since I was unable to write my update for last week. As I mentioned yesterday, I've done a lot of work on common and client, which I will touch on separately:

common: While it was mostly functional, common could not pull subclasses of describable packets (order and object) correctly. This required modifying the code in parser to identify the type field in a description and save it so that common could look it up. After that work was mostly on expanding coverage, which is now fairly complete sans the SSL support. As I was unable to connect to any SSL servers with any program, there was no useful means to test it. The testing for this will be pushed to the integration tests with client, as time has become more pressing.

client: Probably more than half the lines in client had to be modified because of API changes over the course of the project. This includes differences in object names between libtpproto-py and protocol.xml, the transitions of objects to being an object rather than a singleton, and some logic changes that have occurred since the original writing. In the current state I don't believe any significiant changes need to be made, but because this is essentially protocol code, my own misunderstanding is a very real possiblity.

tpclient-pytext:  This is still in a rudimentary state, as I'm having some difficulties porting it to the new library. As I mentioned before, I have been failing to connect to the servers with the client. The packet appears to be correctly constructed, however, so I fear I'm misunderstanding the protocol.  This is presently my top priority. I will be attempting to set up a local server for a more controlled testing environment tonight.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Update for August 10th!

Hello again, the internet! Thanks to ISP troubles I've been unable to connect over SSL or SSH for the last week. I don't know why, but it seems to have resolved itself.

I now have common in a mostly finished state and have client ready for testing. The insert methods in client require me to essentially cast a packet to another type and send it. This should be straightforward, but I've not implemented it yet.

I've started porting tpclient-pytext to use libtpproto2-py. I'm hung up on being unable to get a reply from the server upon logging in. I've manually determined that the server is not sending a reply, so I now suspect that there might be an error in the connect packet. i will investigate tomorrow.

Monday, August 3, 2009

Daily update for August 2nd

Fixed the unpacking bug and made ConnectionCommon correctly identify subclasses  of describable packets. Expanded coverage to get confidence that ConnectionCommon now works for all packets. Still need a good way to test SSL support, then work on Client.